Central Park Salad

GLUTEN-FREE

I live in the middle of Manhattan, but I can still forage for food.

I gathered all of these ingredients within a mile of my apartment except the sea salt, olive oil, and white wine vinegar (which I bought from the source on a trip to Napa). If I can do it in New York City, almost anyone can.

The amounts I used were dependent on what I found, so my measurements are only guidelines.For more information on these wild foods found in Central Park, read my this post on my other blog.

1 tbsp Wild Field Garlic cloves
1 tbsp Wild Chervil seeds
1 tbsp Poor Man's Pepper seeds
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Several small milk weed pods (1 to 2 inches long), boiled for 20 minutes and cooled
1 cup fresh Yellow Wood Sorrel leaves and flowers, and any tender stems in between
1 cup fresh Lamb's Quarters leaves
1 handful of fresh blackberries
1 handful of fresh Black Nightshade berries (DO NOT EAT THE LEAVES)

Add the garlic cloves and chervil seeds to the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Use a pestle or the back of a spoon to crush them against the bowl. Add the pepper seeds, white wine vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Whisk to combine, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Slice the cooked milk weed pods in halves or quarters.

Add the sorrel and lamb's quarters to the bowl. Toss the greens lightly with the vinaigrette and transfer to a serving plate. Top with the sliced, cooked milk weed pods, blackberries and black nightshade berries. Serve immediately.

Comments