Japanese-Style Coleslaw

GLUTEN-FREE | GRAIN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE


On my recent trip to Japan, I noticed two big trends in salads. First, ginger sesame dressing was by far the most popular salad dressing. And, second, finely shredded raw cabbage was everywhere: mixed into salads, served as a side dish, used as a garnish. As soon as I came home I came up with my own version of the delicious dressing, and it seemed only natural to eat it with a cabbage-based salad.

Because this coleslaw doesn't contain dairy products or mayonnaise, it can be kept safely at room temperature for up to two hours, so it's a good choice to take along on picnics. 

I used Savoy cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cilantro, but other vegetables and fresh herbs would also be good. Try bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, golden beet, red onion, or mint. For the garnish, I used black sesame seeds, but you could substitute white sesame seeds, hemp nuts, chia seeds, or chopped peanuts.

Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
Carrots, shredded
Scallions, thinly sliced 
Cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
Black sesame seeds to garnish
Japanese-Style Ginger Sesame Dressing

Add all of the vegetables to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until evenly distributed. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Comments